This one’s for you! This is my mother in law’s recipe and it’s so easy!!
Sweet Potato Crunch
1 can of yams (1 pound can)
1 cup of sugar
Dash of salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of softened butter or margarine (I used Shedd’s Spread Country Crock)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Cinnamon to taste (I used 1/4 teaspoon because cinnamon is strong but you determine what you like)
Directions to prepare:
- Open can, drain yams and mash slightly.
- Add the sugar and salt and blend some more (I used a whisk, but you can use a hand mixer too).
- Next add in the eggs, milk, softened butter, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Mix at full blast or whisk steadily for 5 minutes. You will still be able to see little bits of butter suspended in the mix. That is fine. It doesn’t need to be fully incorporated but should be pretty smooth with no large lumps.
- Pour mixture into a 9×12 baking pan. Set aside.
To make the topping:
1 cup of light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup of softened butter
1/3 cup of flour
1 cup of pecans (I bought a 6 oz package and ended up using the whole thing because I like pecans.)
Mix flour, butter and brown sugar together well. It will almost have a paste consistency. Add the pecans in and mix some more. Spread or drop the topping mixture all over the potato mixture. If you like, sprinkle on the rest of the pecans you have left.
Bake 30-45 minutes in 350 degree oven.
It’s done when a knife comes out clean and the top is golden brown and delicious!
Enjoy warm with ice cream or at room temperature!!!!