Happy Monday to you! Hope your holiday was awesome and you are getting ready for the onslaught of Christmas. I was off last week but I was still reading good stuff. Let’s get to it:
Have a great week of reading!!
It’s Turkey Day in a few days but some of us (like me) are stuck at this office..so my gift to you is some good reads! Let’s get to it!
- Dave Chappelle is GQ magazine’s man of the year.
- Keep Moving: The Nomadic Life of An Assistant College Basketball Coach.
- Junior Smith was a troubled kid who needed help. Instead, West Virginia sent him to jail.
- He went to Yemen. He was almost kidnapped.
- Can You Gentrify America’s Poorest, Most Dangerous City?
- The mystery of an artifact from the 1800s slave trade, and the girl who made it.
- Can Whole Foods Change the Way Poor People Eat?
- For the Public Good: The Shameful History of Forced Sterilization in the U.S.
- A profile of the NY Knicks Carmelo Anthony.
- The World Loves the rapper B.o.B — Why Doesn’t Atlanta?
- The Untold Story of Black Fatherhood.
- The Slow Motion Lynching of President Barack Obama.
- Explaining White Privilege to a Broke White Person.
- A two part series on how NFL teams handle domestic violence. Part 1/Part 2.
- Two unlikely friends: rapper Wale’ and comedian Jerry Seinfeld.
- 25 years later, Art Shell reflects becoming the FIRST black NFL head coach in the modern era.
- A Chat with Dionne Osborne, the Vocal Coach Who Changed Drake’s Style.
- Speaking about Drake, we might as well learn a bit more about his dad.
- In Alabama, Judges Play God: A judge can override a jury that spares a murderer from the death penalty.
- Peterson’s hometown still supportive: Some call Vikings star a child abuser, but in Palestine, Texas, he’s still favorite son.
- A Rape On Campus. And what if you are accused of sexual assault on a college campus.
- From Wrestling Legend to Double Amputee, Kamala Keeps Fighting.
Happy Thursday! Ready for some good reads?
Have a great weekend!
Been reading some good stuff over the last week or so, hope there’s something that catches your interest in the links. Let’s go:
See you next week!
Lots of good stories about Ferguson, MO this week:
Other good stories to note:
That’s all for this week. Let me know what you think in the comments!
It’s been about a week since I’ve updated about my personal journey on Serenity’s prayer challenge and what a week it’s been.
I’ve been consumed with following all the coverage about the Mike Brown shooting in Ferguson, Missouri. Thank goodness for social media outlets and blogs because if it were left up to the mainstream media, we’d all be days late and dollars short on information. O_o I’m saddened, outraged, tired, shocked, and appalled but not really surprised about the treatment of young black men in this country, so I’m not going to go on and on about it when there is tons of other coverage that say all of how I feel (like in my previous blog post). My prayer habits have been sporadic during this time due to my own personal mental exhaustion though I’ve been listening to a lot of gospel music and reading some devotionals to try to remain encouraged. My sleep habits, which really aren’t that great to begin with, have suffered too due to being glued to the internet and the TV. My husband has actually admonished me to dial it back a notch and I’ve tried to do just that for the last few days.
But right now I am tired, so I went back to read Serenity’s blog from Day 15 which talks about Endurance. One of the verses, which should be familiar to a lot of people is:
Isaiah 40:31 – “But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary and they shall walk and not faint.”
This time period served as reminder to me how easily it is to get off track and how important it to work to stay focused in your life, both personally and spiritually. I might not see the results of what I have been praying for exactly on August 31, 2014 but the goal is to realize that this is a marathon and not a sprint. And even if I get off track, I can hit the reset button. I’m going to do that starting right now.
I’m constantly reading and sharing various links that I get from my Twitter feed and from FB. I think I’m going to start sharing more of them via the blog as well.
I think that’s enough for now. Let me know in the comments if any of the links are broken and if you would like me to continue this on a regular basis!