It’s Turkey Day in a few days but some of us (like me) are stuck at this office..so my gift to you is some good reads! Let’s get to it!
- Dave Chappelle is GQ magazine’s man of the year.
- Keep Moving: The Nomadic Life of An Assistant College Basketball Coach.
- Junior Smith was a troubled kid who needed help. Instead, West Virginia sent him to jail.
- He went to Yemen. He was almost kidnapped.
- Can You Gentrify America’s Poorest, Most Dangerous City?
- The mystery of an artifact from the 1800s slave trade, and the girl who made it.
- Can Whole Foods Change the Way Poor People Eat?
- For the Public Good: The Shameful History of Forced Sterilization in the U.S.
- A profile of the NY Knicks Carmelo Anthony.
- The World Loves the rapper B.o.B — Why Doesn’t Atlanta?
- The Untold Story of Black Fatherhood.
- The Slow Motion Lynching of President Barack Obama.
- Explaining White Privilege to a Broke White Person.
- A two part series on how NFL teams handle domestic violence. Part 1/Part 2.
- Two unlikely friends: rapper Wale’ and comedian Jerry Seinfeld.
- 25 years later, Art Shell reflects becoming the FIRST black NFL head coach in the modern era.
- A Chat with Dionne Osborne, the Vocal Coach Who Changed Drake’s Style.
- Speaking about Drake, we might as well learn a bit more about his dad.
- In Alabama, Judges Play God: A judge can override a jury that spares a murderer from the death penalty.
- Peterson’s hometown still supportive: Some call Vikings star a child abuser, but in Palestine, Texas, he’s still favorite son.
- A Rape On Campus. And what if you are accused of sexual assault on a college campus.
- From Wrestling Legend to Double Amputee, Kamala Keeps Fighting.
Hi, hope you have had a good week! Let’s slide into the weekend with some good reads, shall we??
- Micheal Sam was the first openly gay player drafted by the NFL. But there is a Micheal Sam, Sr. Here is his story.
- A letter to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. from the FBI that basically asks him to kill himself.
- Stephen Glass fabricated articles that nearly destroyed a magazine. Sixteen years later, he tells why he did it.
- A bold entrepreneur with a radical startup. An African-American. In tech, those two phrases usually don’t go together. Enter Tristan Walker.
- Max Lenox was born to a crack-addicted black mother and raised by two white gay fathers who helped shape him into the much-admired captain of Army basketball.
- The rewards and stigma associated with paternity leave.
- How racism stole black childhood.
- Should Valerie Jarrett be fired??
- A review of the biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder, author of the Little House on the Prairie series of books.
- Alvin Robertson: A Fallen, Forgotten (San Antonio) Spur on Trial for Human Trafficking.
- How White People Got Made. Part One and Part Two.
- 14 Shots In April.
- The return of Jim Crow (via the ballot).
- Like Something the Lord Made: Vivien Thomas was paid a janitor’s wage, never went to college, and still became a legend in the field of heart surgery. (If you don’t read anything else I post, READ THIS.)
- My stepfather, the Peeping Tom.
- Jay Bilas vs. NCAA: How a former player with a law degree became an agent of change.
- Everybody sexts: What love (and sex) really looks
like in the 21st century.
That’s all I got. See you next week!
Happy Thursday! Ready for some good reads?
Have a great weekend!
Been reading some good stuff over the last week or so, hope there’s something that catches your interest in the links. Let’s go:
See you next week!
I have a lot of links to share this so get ready to save to your Pocket or Instapaper apps. And if you don’t have either, why not??
See you next week!
Lots of good stories about Ferguson, MO this week:
Other good stories to note:
That’s all for this week. Let me know what you think in the comments!