My husband calls me his guinea pig. He comes up with recipes in his head and I am the lucky recipient of his culinary gifts!
This is what we had last night. I call it Baked Cheesy Shells with Sausage.
Here’s the recipe:
1 bag of small pasta shells (the big bag)
2 pounds of loose sweet Italian sausage (or mix hot and sweet sausage OR turkey sausage)
1 jar of jarred spaghetti sauce (Myron used a 45 oz. jar. It made a LOT!!!!)
2 – 8 oz cans of diced tomatoes
1 medium/large onion, chopped
1 – 6 oz container of shredded Parmesan
minced garlic to taste
1 – 8 oz package of Italian blend cheeses or mozzarella
- Boil and drain your shells and set aside. Myron adds a tablespoon of minced garlic to his water.
- Saute your onions, minced garlic, and your sausage together and season with the garlic salt and pepper to taste. If you like oregano or other seasonings add them.
- When the sausage is browned, drain off the excess grease.
- Mix the sausage and diced tomato with the sauce. Heat up to a simmer and add in the drained pasta . Let sit for 10-15 minutes to cool down. Then mix in container of Parmesan.
- Transfer to a long baking dish. Spread mixture evenly. (Ours is Pyrex.)
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes uncovered.
- Pull your dish out of the oven and cover with liberally with the package of Italian 5 cheese blend.
- Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly and slightly browned on top, about 20 minutes.
- Pull from oven, let cool for a minute. Serve, eat, and enjoy!
To make this a bit healthier, I would suggest using whole wheat pasta shells, low sodium spaghetti sauce, turkey sausage and low-fat mozzarella cheese. You might tried the sauce that has mushrooms in it or chop up some fresh mushrooms.
Myron used a huge jar of sauce and a lot of shells (the big bag) so we had tons of extra that didn’t fit in the the baking dish but we plan to freeze the excess for a later day.
Hope ya’ll like it!!!
Posted from WordPress for Android